Do you or does someone you know struggle with unexpected, rapid onset anxiety and panic? Does the fear of the next episode cause anxiety, worry, and a inhibition to be in unfamiliar settings? If so, this could be a sign of a condition called panic disorder.
Panic disorder is very real, and it’s very scary. Without warning, or sometimes with a terrible sense of dread that ramps up towards an attack, people who have a panic disorder are overcome by emotional and physical responses to a high level of anxiety that seemingly comes out of nowhere and feels like it can be triggered by almost anything.
For those who live with panic disorder, seeking help can feel hard to do. These people have often started to feel that they possess no control over their anxiety, and these panic attacks (also called anxiety attacks) can actually cause them to feel so out of control that they feel embarrassed about it.
What they need to know is that they are not alone, help is available, and treatment for panic disorders can be highly effective. At Texas Online Counseling PLLC, we provide online counseling services aimed at helping you understand and improve your relationship with your panic disorder. Our trained, compassionate counselors are here to help.
Today, we’re going over what a panic disorder is, who experiences them, and the ways that online counseling services can play an important role in helping you reclaim your sense of control, awareness, and safety in the face of an anxiety attack. Read on, or reach out to us today with your questions about our online counseling services or to schedule an appointment.
What Is A Panic Disorder?
As mentioned above, a panic disorder is a condition where someone experiences sudden, unexpected panic attacks and tends to be preoccupied with worry about the next, or a recurring, panic attack. These panic attacks can happen at any time of day or night, regardless of the person’s company or emotional state. They can even wake people from their sleep.
While almost everyone experiences a panic attack at some point in their life, most people consider them a rarity and can identify why an attack took place. People with a panic disorder suffer from panic attacks regularly, often to the point that normal routines such as work, relationships, and exercise are interfered with. So, while many may understand or have experienced the symptoms of a panic attack, not as many people have a panic disorder.
Who Is Susceptible To Panic Disorders?
According to a report from the Department of Clinical and Health Psychology at the University of Florida, as many as 2.4 million, or a little over 1.5% of the adult population, in the U.S. may suffer from a panic disorder annually. The Anxiety and Depression Association of America places the number closer to somewhere between 2% and 3% of the population. So, while these numbers are lower than some other anxiety disorders, they are still quite common.
While virtually anyone can develop or suffer from a panic disorder, the condition is twice as likely to occur in women as in men.
How Are Online Counseling Services Different?
When you suffer from a panic disorder, getting out of the house or finding yourself in unfamiliar territory can feel like a trigger in and of itself. For this reason alone, people with panic disorders can be reluctant to seek professional help. Online counseling services are perfect for helping these people, and here are a few of the reasons why:
- Complete Accessibility - With an online counseling service, there are no barriers to fear or worry about in terms of accessing help. If you have access to a telephone or the internet, then chats, phone calls, and video conferring are all at your disposal to connect you with your therapist.
- No Waiting - The waiting is the hardest part for many people, especially when they are working themselves up to talk about something that is difficult for them. Online counseling services remove waiting rooms, traffic, and all the other “stop and worry” points on the way to help.
- Affordability - Because your online counseling services don’t take place in an office, they are oftentimes more affordable than in-person therapy.
- Comfort - Many people with panic disorders feel most comfortable and collected in the familiar environment of their own home. Online counseling services never require you to leave it.
- Consistency - Missing an appointment can be frustrating, especially if things are going well. With online counseling, you can still make an appointment regardless of where you are, what the weather is like, or whether or not your car battery started this morning.
Do Online Counseling Services For Panic Disorders Really Work?
Treatment for panic disorders has never been shown to be more effective simply because it was done in-person. The training, compassion, and support that your online counselor can offer are no less effective just because you aren’t in the same room.
Schedule An Online Counseling Appointment Anywhere In Texas Today
At Texas Online Counseling PLLC, we can work with anyone in the state of Texas, and we are here for you when you are ready. When that time comes, request an appointment to get started.